Love Your Lungs: Healthy House Check-up

Posted · Add Comment

Health, Home

Love Your Lungs: Healthy House Check-up

Radon

“Radon is a radioactive colorless, odorless, gas that can cause lung cancer,” says Dr. Akerley of Huntsman Cancer Institute. Radon typically enters a household via cracks in the foundation, rising from the soil or groundwater.  The Utah Department of Environmental Quality’s Indoor Radon Program focuses on radon-resistent construction, real estate discloure and testing, local government coalitions and radon awareness (testing and mitigation). Get your home checked with a short-term test kit for $9 or have a specialist visit your home.

Mold

Mold is another microscopic household assailant than can affect your lungs as well as the value of your home. Home test kits are the way to quickly answer the question of where seemingly random allergies, rashes, lung infections, pneumonia or other respiratory problems are coming from. The best kits use multiple testing methods and also identify yeast and fungus.
The gold medal winner of test kits is the Pro-Lab Mold: DIY Kit available on Amazon. At about $7 for the kit and $40 for the lab analysis, the kit is well worth your family’s lung health.

Carbon Monoxide

Carbon monoxide is another odorless, tasteless and fatal gas. It’s a normal product of combustion of fuels such as gasoline, oil kerosene, charcoal and wood. Improper ventilation is the most common source of these gases building up in living areas.
If you have unexplained headache, drowsiness, dizziness, confusion, nausea, vomiting or rapid heartbeat coupled with living in a house with older fireplaces or any kind of gas-burning appliance, furnace or space-heater, get your house tested for carbon monoxide! Pro-lab carbon monoxide test kits are available (under $10) at most hardware stores.

View the full “Love Your Lungs” article here.

    SHARE THIS:

    Share on FacebookShare on Google+Tweet about this on TwitterShare on LinkedIn
 
 
X